Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Market Recap: Negative flow from the wall.

The dow was down (10.99) to close at 12,337.22 and the Nasaq was down (15.60) to close at 2,306.20. There were no real movers or shakers that caught my eye today except for (SNE) Sony Corp that finally won the blu-ray versus HD DVD format war. The news this weekend was that Wal-Mart has decided to exclusively sell blu-ray products. Sorry Toshiba, it was a valiant effort.
The big winner today was was our favorite little yellow medal. Gold that is! April gold was up $27.70 to close at $929.80. Gold has continued to climb. I will discuss later in the week some good ways to invest in gold via ETF's or mutual funds. However today, I will discuss GLD. What is GLD, besides the ETF that keeps going up? GLD strives to reflect the performance of the price of gold bullion. StreetTracks GLD as of 2/19/08 has 631.15 tonnes, 20,292,100 ounces and is valued at $ 18,745,863,353.29

I generally recommend that any diversified investor should hold some form of gold. Below is a weekly chart of GLD the gold ETF courtesy of stockcharts.com.


I will discuss a little more about gold in a later post. Until then, please feel free to read about gold investing and educate yourself in different areas of investing. If you have any questions about my posts today, please feel free to leave me a question.

No comments: