Wednesday, February 20, 2008

To Quicken or not to Quicken?

My vote is to Quicken. What is Quicken? It is a personal financial tool. It might be one of your most important tools that you use in your life. Is it inportant to understand where and what your hard earned cash is being spent on?

Before I was married, my boss told me to purchase Quicken. He suggested that before getting married, you should begin to track your spending. Quicken has continued to allow me to learn about where our money is being spent. It helps me budget how much is spent on the following each month: Dining Out, Groceries, Gas, Rent, Entertainment, Books, Clothing, Hair Cuts, and Gifts Given.

Quicken takes time to initially setup. You setup each investment account, bank account, credit card account and enter your loans (if you have any). Once all the accounts are created, you just need to press “update” and it downloads all of the recent transactions to your account. Within minutes each day, you can see your net worth and plot a month by month charge to see if it has been increasing.
If you currently are not using Quicken then I ask you, how much did you spend last month eating out? Do you know how much you spent at Starbucks? I bet it is more than you think!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Dear Miles, I might just purchase quicken based on your blog. So insightful. Thank you,

Unknown said...

Absolutely! This is key, particularly for those who ARE NOT good with money! The people I know with the most money, scrupulously use Quicken.